4 Tips for Loading Dock Safety | Portable Trailer Ramps | Yard Ramps
Our team is truly thankful to put the most current digital marketing strategies to work for the growth of Copperloy by JH Industries. If you and your team have been planning an upgrade to your facility, then connect with the material handling experts from Copperloy by JH Industries. From portable trailer ramps, to dock plates, and more, the team from Copperloy by JH Industries has what you need to make your facility safer, more efficient, and more profitable.
4 Tips for Loading Dock Safety | Portable Trailer Ramps | Loading and Unloading
Your workplace cannot be efficient if it is not safe. This is especially so around loading docks. When it comes to material handling safety, It’s all about being aware of your surroundings, giving yourself time to react, and being on the same page with your colleagues. See the list below for some material handling safety tips.
- Ensure Proper Placement of Dock Plates.
- Make visual checks.
- Be mindful of the load capacities of the dock plates in your facilities.
- Make Sure all Floor Surfaces are Clean.
- Take care of any fall hazards once you see them.
- Be consistent with cleaning.
- Install Vehicle Entry and Exit Lights.
- This can help ensure timely forklift movement.
- Safety lights can also help improve dock efficiency.
- Ensure Proper Safety Training for All Employees.
- Go over all company and industry safety policies with all new workers.
- Depending on your circumstances, it can be helpful to review these policies as a team periodically.
Loading Dock Ramp Safety
OSHA Guidelines for Forklift Use on Loading Dock Ramps
OSHA’s guidelines for forklift ramp safety are related to speed and maintaining a slow, controlled ascent or descent on the trailer ramp. OSHA’s specifications for forklifts on ramps include:
- 29 CFR 1926.451(e)(5)(ii)– “No ramp or walkway shall be inclined more than a slope of one vertical to three horizontal (20 degrees above the horizontal).”
- 29 CFR 1910.178(n)(7)– “Grades shall be ascended or descended slowly.”
- 29 CFR 1910.178(m)(6)– “A safe distance shall be maintained from the edge of ramps…”
The design of the forklift ramps from Copperloy helps meet these requirements, keeping forklift operators safe.
Choosing Dock Ramps That Comply With OSHA Requirements
Whether you need a yard ramp that can provide access to trucks in the shipping yard, or auxiliary mobile ramp for your loading dock, OSHA-compliance begins with picking the right heavy-duty, safest ramp for the job.
In light of the number of accidents on forklifts, OSHA estimates 85 fatal forklift accidents per year; 34,900 forklift accidents result in serious injury; and 61,800 are classified as non-serious. Copperloy takes ramp safety seriously in all the features of the Copperloy yard ramp. This data is supported by the Industrial Truck Association, who estimates there are about 855,900 forklifts in the U.S. Therefore, over 11% of all forklifts will be involved in some type of accident each year.
Contact Copperloy to learn more about ramp safety and alignment with OSHA guidelines.
Before use, check for signs of rust or damage. For ramps that use hydraulic height adjustment, check hydraulic fluid levels. Then, check the loading dock. It is also important to regularly inspect for cracks, damage and more. Visit the Copperloy website to learn more.
About Copperloy by JH Industries | Portable Trailer Ramps | United States
For more than five decades, Twinsburg, Ohio’s Copperloy by JH Industries has been a go-to resource for material handling equipment. Above all, the Copperloy by JH Industries team values workplace safety.
For this reason, the company takes great pride in offering equipment that can make any facility a safer place. Copperloy by JH Industries helps to maximize safety, efficiency, and profitability across a wide range of industries. To list, some of these fields include
- Automated Equipment
- Heat Processing
- Both Heavy Machinery and Transportation
- Light Assembly
- Machine Tooling & Fixtures
- Both Machine and Equipment Manufacturers (OEM)
- Material Handling
- Metal Processing
- Both Military and Defense
- Plastics Machinery
- Both Printing and Publishing
- Both Warehousing and Distribution
- Wind Energy
Copperloy by JH Industries sets itself apart by offering premier custom steel fabrication and design services. In all, the Copperloy by JH Industries has what it takes to customize an impressive variety of pieces to meet the standards of any facility, industry, or task. In fact, client businesses count on Copperloy by JH Industries for
- Wheel Chocks
- Dock Boards
- Dock Plates
- Yard Ramps
- Portable Trailer Ramps
- Van Ramps
- Edge of Dock Levelers
- Dock to Ground Yard Ramps
- Lift Tables
- Dock Lifts
- Trailer Jacks
Visit https://copperloy.com/ today to learn more.